Today’s Financial Events 22 March 2018
All trading involves risk. It is possible to lose all your capital.
Main Points of Today
BoE expected to remain on hold today
- BoE will announce its interest rate decision today (12:30 GMT) and is expected to remain on hold at 0.50%.
- GBP OIS imply a probability to remain on hold at around 89%, while the rest is for a 25 basis points rate hike.
- Market focus is expected to shift to the banks accompanying statement as well as the actual votes for any discerning voices.
- We see the case for the statement to have a well balanced tone however risks seem to tilt to the upside for a more hawkish tone.
- Should there be a hawkish tone ahead of a possible May rate hike, we could see the GBP strengthening.
The Fed hiked yesterday however the USD weakened
- The FOMC decided a 25 basis points rate hike yesterday and the Fed’s interest rates reached 1.75%.
- The renewed dot plot did not show the 4 rate hike path many analysts expected.
- Overall, despite the well balanced tone and the positive economic projections the absence of any hawkish elements in the accompanying statement and the press conference could have disappointed the market somewhat.
- The USD should start stabilizing and correcting after the initial expectations gap.
Today’s other economic highlights
- France: Markit Mfg Preliminary PMI for March, Survey:55.5 Prior:55.9, 08:00 GMT, could weaken the EUR
- Germany: Markit Mfg Preliminary PMI for March, Survey:59.8 Prior:60.6, 08:30 GMT, could weaken the EUR Ifo Business Climate for March, Survey:114.8 Prior:115.4, 09:00 GMT, could weaken the EUR
Ifo Current Conditions for March, Survey: 55.0 Prior: 55.3, 09:00 GMT, could weaken the EUR
- Eurozone: Markit Mfg Preliminary PMI for March, Survey:58.1 Prior:58.6, 09:00 GMT, could weaken the EUR
- UK: Retail Sales for February, Survey:+0.4% mom Prior:+0.1% mom, 09:30 GMT, could strengthen the GBP
- US: Initial Jobless Claims, Survey:225k Prior:226k,12:30 GMT, neutral for USD Markit Mfg Preliminary PMI for March, Survey:55.5 Prior:55.3, 13:45 GMT, neutral to negative for USD
- Speakers: ECB’s Sabine Lautenschlaeger (08:30, GMT), BoE’s Deputy Governor Dave Ramsden (17:00, GMT) and BoC’s senior Deputy Governor Carolyn A. Wilkins speak.
Do You Want To Make Thousands Of Dollars Extra Cash Every Month
From Forex Trading In Pakistan?
Subscribe To Our Mailing List And Get Free Forex Training Videos, Free Forex Trading Strategies, Free Forex Indicators, Robots And Free Forex Analysis From ForexGuru.Pk Team In Your Email
We Respect Your Privacy And Protect It Seriously